DOUGLAS DENYS, M.D.
Dr. Denys has been involved with scientific research since college at the Biotechnology Center at Utah State University. At the University of Utah School of Medicine he continued research in socioeconomics and worked as a volunteer at the Salt Lake City Homeless Shelter from 2001-2005. As a resident surgeon at the University of Tennessee, Dr. Denys performed scientific research at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. He studied how radiation used to treat cancer of the head and neck affected the growth of children's faces. He also studied head and neck cancer and developed a model for predicting survival based on the amount of tumor burden. His artistic abilities and knowledge of head and neck cancer were unique and he has worked as a medical illustrator for many years. His present interests are in thyroid cancer and he has spent time in Ukraine and Belarus to study thyroid disease, and in rhinoplasty where he has developed simulation models to improve training and execution of surgical procedures.
Below are publications and presentations by Dr. Denys.
- Rhythm of a Runner, Narrative non-fiction. Publication 2014.
- Sub-mental Muscular Medialization and Suspension. Aesthetic Surgey Journal. Volume 33 Issue 7 Sept. 2013 pp. 1039. Langsdon, PR, Velargo, Parker A, Rodwell, David W, Denys, Douglas.
- The effects of radiation on craniofacial skeletal growth. International J Ped. Otolaryn. (45) 1998, 7 -13.
- The predictive value of tumor regression rates during chemoradiation in patients with advanced head and neck cancer. Am. J Surgery, Nov. 1997.
- Lateral Skull Base surgery: Rational for approach and Choice of treatment. J Otolaryngology 27 (1) 1998.
- Letter to editor on effects of radiation on craniofacial growth. Intr J Ped Otolaryn. 1999.
- Committee for Neck Dissection classification. The American Head and Neck Societies Revised Classification for Neck Dissection. Sept 2000.
- Cochlear and vestibular Physiology. Otolaryngology-Head and neck surgery. www.emedicine.com 9/2000.
- Otitis externa. Outdoor Sports Journal. 2002.
- Treatment of Thyroid Nodules, IHC Hospital Medical Staff. American Fork, UT. 11/2013
- Humanitarian Aid Panel. AAO-HNS Annual Meeting, Vancouver, CA. 9/2013
- Panel for Humanitarian Surgical Services. San Francisco, CA. American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 9/ 2011.
- Brigham Young University. Pre Medicine student preparation class. 2009
- Etiologies of Homelessness in Salt Lake City. National Association for Teachers of Family Medicine. San Diego, CA. 1993.
- Effects of Radiation of craniofacial skeletal growth. American Society of Pediatric otolaryngology. Scottsdale, AZ. 1997
- The predictive value of tumor regression rates. International Society of Head and Neck Surgeons. Fiesta Coral Beach Hotel. Cancun, Mexico. 1997.
- Tumor Volume as a predictor of outcome and metastasis in patients with advanced head and neck cancer. International Conference on Head and Neck cancer. San Francisco, CA. 2000.